Wild Asana: Animals, Yoga, and Connecting Our Practice to the Natural World will be published on June 27th, 2023 by North Atlantic Books.
Ever wonder about the dog in Downward Dog or the pigeon in Kapotasana? Rewild your yoga practice by connecting to the animals behind the asanas.
For nature-loving yogis and readers of World of Wonders and Yoga Mythology.
From Downward Dog to Cobra, Wild Asana invites you into an embodied exploration of the animals that inspire familiar yoga poses. Drawing on wildlife science, anthropology, Hindu mythology, Eastern philosophy, and personal stories, this insightful guide by environmental educator and yoga instructor Alison Zak explores the connections among our bodies, our minds, and the animals that inspire our practice.
In illustrated chapters on asanas like Tittibhasana (Firefly), Garudasana (Eagle), Bidalasana (Cat), and Ustrasana (Camel), Zak invites you to bring the deep nature of animals into breath and movement.
You’ll learn to:
- Respect the monkey in “monkey mind” to honor—not tame—your own wildness
- Fly like an eagle to move from imprisonment to liberation
- Embody a pigeon’s stillness and nonattachment
- Imbue your practice with the agility, flexibility, and fierce commitment of a cat
- Incorporate asana variations, mudras, and meditations inspired by animal nature
- Practice lovingkindness meditations that include the more-than-human world
With an encompassing ecological compassion, gorgeous original illustrations, profound insight into animal wisdom, and the humor and perspective of lived experience, Zak offers a path to deepen and enliven your practice. Whether you’re an animal lover, a first-time yoga student, or an experienced practitioner, Wild Asana is a practical and accessible guide to becoming animal on your yoga mat.